Thursday, February 17, 2005

Dan Ashley's Comments

(Posted by Dan Ashley, father of MM2(SS) Joeseph Ashley on Feb 14, 2005 at this link.)

This after noon I recieved a phone call from Admiral Sullivan. My worst suspicions came true. It hurts but facts are facts whether we like it or not. There will be many lessons to be learned from this and they must be applied to each man and his responsabilities. We can't ever allow this to happen again. The moment you take for granite the seriousness of your responsabilities to the submarine and rest of the crew, you open yourselves to the possibility of tragedy. I hate, as you will hate, the facts of the investigation as they are made known. I am eagerly waiting for CDR Mooney to call me and if we ever cross paths again, I will hold him close as though he were my own son. MM2 Joseph Ashley "General Cooter" would want it that way.